Welcome to Charles J. Colgan, Sr. High School!
Colgan High School, opening in 2016, is Prince William County’s 12th High School. The Prince William County School Board unanimously voted to name the school after Senator Charles J. Colgan, Sr., who served in the Virginia State Senate for 40 years representing the citizens of Prince William County, Manassas, and Manassas Park. When Senator Colgan was sworn in for his 10th consecutive term in the Virginia Senate in 2012, he became the longest serving Senator in Virginia State History. For more information about Senator Colgan’s extraordinary life please go to www.colgantribute.com
Located mid-county, Colgan High School is built based on the “Patriot” design model. This model focuses on natural light, open courtyard spaces, and current technology. Colgan High School has several design modifications that make it unique, special, and tailored for students in the arts:
- Largest auditorium in Prince William County Schools with professional sound and lighting;
- Purposely designed Black Box Theatre to allow for small performances and to support student creativity;
- Outdoor amphitheater with covered stage;
- Contemporary, large dance studio;
- Hydraulic lift for orchestra pit allowing for effective use of stage (including stage extension);
- Large Art rooms with new equipment and supplies overlooking a beautiful courtyard;
- Dedicated space for Band, Orchestra, and Choral – including Wenger© soundproof practice rooms.
Colgan High School is designed to provide students with the best high school experience possible. From rigorous college preparatory course work to specific career focused curriculum that allows for industry certifications, the goal is for all students to thrive and to be prepared for their next stage of life.
The faculty at Colgan High School believe in supporting the whole child during the high school experience. The staff believes in the high value student activities and athletics play in a young person’s development. Additionally, the professional counselors at Colgan High School have an important role in the social and emotional development of teenagers along with playing a critical part in students’ career exploration and planning.
Colgan High School believes strongly in the inclusiveness of all students. Faculty and staff continuously explore ways to ensure all students know they are an important part of our community.
Colgan High School also includes the School Division’s Aquatics Center. While the Aquatics Center is physically attached to the school, it serves the entire School Division. The Aquatics Center will be used for all students in Prince William County Schools both through High School Swim & Dive Team practices and meets, as well as instructional purposes for water safety, lifeguard certification, and other related curriculum.
Vision Statement: Preparing and inspiring students for their future.
“The Center for Fine and Performing Arts” - This program, which students must audition for, features concentrations in instrumental music (band & orchestra), vocal music, theatre, dance, visual arts, and creative writing. Prince William County students from across the county may apply for this program. If accepted into the program through the audition process, students can transfer to Colgan High School.
- A.P. and Pre-A.P. course work – Colgan High School is part of The College Board’s national Advanced Placement Program. Students have availability to enroll in rigorous college level courses in all disciplines, taught by College Board trained teachers.
- Project Lead the Way – Colgan High School offers the Engineering program that includes highly sought after classes and curriculum for students.
- School-wide Environmental Science Program – Embedded into all science classes is access to three outdoor classrooms in an adjacent nature preserve to focus on science instruction. These classrooms allow our science students to explore science with opportunities for hands-on work in natural settings. This focus is a result of a strategic partnership with the Department of Public Works and local citizens in the Solid Waste Citizens Advisory Group.
Charles J. Colgan, Sr. High School
13833 Dumfries Road
Manassas, VA 20112
Principal: Dr. Timothy L. Healey
Assistant Principals: Mr. David Parrish, Ms. Karima Wesselhoft
Administrative Intern: Mrs. Jerri Piacesi
Director of School Counseling: Mrs. Lien Weakland
Director of Student Activities: Mr. David Huckestein
Official Ribbon Cutting: August 22, 2016
First School Day in History: August 29, 2016
Number of Students: 1428 (no senior class in first year of school)
Number of Staff: 130
School Colors: Colgan Blue, Shark Gray, and Caribbean Blue
School Mascot: Sharks